Monday, June 30, 2008

HOME SWEET HOME

Thank goodness that soon after my parents left Bolivia, I too was headed off on my first real vacation in a year. After saving up my 2 days a month, I was on my way to the United States of America. After being away from the states for a year, I was ooooh so exited to get back. I had tears in my eyes landing in New York. I spent 2 wonderful weeks enjoying the luxuries that I used to consider daily life. The beauty of the cities, the suburbs, the woods and the beach amazed me. Instead of being impressed by the gringos that the people here imagine filling up the USA, I was overwhelmed by the diversity, people of all races, ethnicities and backgrounds… what beauty. I truly saw our (first) world through new eyes and appreciated everything in a new way. The best part was simply spending time with the people I love and miss most, my family, boyfriend and friends… time flew by and I didn’t get to see half the people I wanted to- but that just means that it will be all the most exciting when I come home again. One of the reasons I went home was to see Connor (my bro) graduate from NYU. It was a great event, and moreover spending time with my family was unbeatable. We celebrated throughout the first week- lunch at Roberto’s (my favorite restaurant in the Bronx), again at Aunt Laney’s house, and later in the city as well. It was perfect timing because I got to see- Granny, Grandpa, Aunt Laney,Uncle Jimmy, Read,Connor, Lindsay and my parents! Aside from seeing my family I got to spend a lot of time with Chris and his family in Long Island. It was wonderful to see them, as always and it was so nice of them to let me move in for the vacation. Coming back to New York felt like coming home. I was so incredibly happy to be with Chris, close to my family and friends. The life is good in the United States, and I think that I have taken it for granted up until now. I am so thankful for this experience in the Peace Corps, because my eyes are now forever opened to see life in a new way. I cannot explain how much I appreciated everything and how wonderful it was to spend time with those I love most. Needless to say it was very hard to leave again. Saying goodbye to Chris in the airport I was having flashbacks of leaving a year ago… which sometimes feels like forever ago, and other times like yesterday.

Does it look like I miss these people a little??????????




No comments: