Wednesday, February 6, 2008

the thing that always keeps me wanting more....

I am somewhat addicted to writing in lists because it lets me get more of what has happened down in a faster manner. My life here is so unexpected and random- here is an example of some of the ups and downs in my past WEEK;

Bad
1. I had to say goodbye to Chris… I was then immediately left missing him more than ever. I then had to readjust to being alone again after being with the best companion for an entire month.
2. I was ready to leave on the train the day Chris left and get back to my work and life in San Jose- but instead was stuck in Santa Cruz for the next week because of horrible flooding- a river (which usually could only qualify as a stream) overflowed covering the highway and train tracks.
4. My good friend Hannah Kim signed her early termination papers and headed back to the USA.
5. When I finally got back to San José I found that there was not a single piece of fruit or a vegetable to be found- we are talking not even potatoes, onions or beets!!!!
6. The water went out.
7. Was really thirsty- drank a jugo and I got a fever and stomachache.
8. It was carnaval- for 4 days water balloons and squirt guns are filled with ink and sprayed at whomever walks by… not having many clothes and not being too into the San José party scene- I basically hid out!

Good
1. While I was stuck in Santa Cruz, there was a ceremony signifying the “online relationship” between the US and Bolivia. It seemed to be a pretty big deal. I got to represent Basic San at the event and met Ambassador Goldberg again, along with Rubin Costas (the head politician in Santa Cruz) and many other important people!
2. Since the train was out- I got to fly to Robore in a private Jet (well private Cessna). Then double bonus, an hour later got a ride to San José, from a distant family member!
3. Jenny (my site mate) and I got asked to be judges of the Carnaval parade, in which everyone joins up with their comparsa – crew of friends- and does a little song or dance routine for the judges, sometimes even bribing us with drinks. Being the official judges we were also given all the food and drinks we wanted- not a bad deal!
4. On the last day of Carnaval the “abuelos” (people carrying out their Chiquitano origin traditions- dancing, drinking for the whole of carnaval) came over to our house, where I happened to be hiding out. Dancing, holding hands in a circle to their traditional music, made me realize this is when I am the happiest in Bolivia- when I truly feel like I am a part of something very different than what I would experience in the states.

As you can see my from my list, sometimes in Peace Corps the good outweighs the bad in quantity… but the thing is that the good things are so great that it makes it all worth it.

2 comments:

Mama said...

This must be living life to the fullest!

Laney said...

All truely amazing experiences.