Friday, February 1, 2008

a note from Chris.......

It’s been a little less than a week since my return from visiting my girlfriend Anna in Bolivia. When asked about my trip it’s hard to describe everything in one neat package. Bolivia was never a place I saw myself wanting to travel to let alone stay an entire month. It’s the second poorest nation in the western hemisphere and worst of all landlocked!!!!! (I couldn’t get used to the idea of there being no coastline). However, being able to see and spend much needed quality time with my girlfriend has been a priority since she left eight months earlier.

After settling back to life at home in New York, my experiences from this trip have begun to make me realize how special it was. While there are a few crazy mishaps and occurrences (i.e. seeing a 6ft plus black snake slither in front of our path while on a walk , being sick for New Years Eve with a horrible fever and getting chased by a Bolivian woman dwarf in the city) that happened to us along the way , my experience in Bolivia was an amazing one. Hiking beautiful trails and mountains in Samaipata, learning more about Bolivian culture and visiting other PCV’s sites were just a few parts of my trip that made it unique and special.

At the same time there are many problems and serious issues faced by people who live down there. Poverty is widespread and there is civil unrest in which the country is divided. This was noticeable the entire length of my visit. The challenges faced by PCV’s can be overwhelming for almost anyone. Slow service, delayed schedules and long periods of travel on sketchy passageways are just a few obstacles to mention about life in Bolivia. Although there are stark differences between Bolivian and American cultures, most Bolivians were friendly and interested in my thoughts of their country. Over time, I became used to the “tranquilo” (laidback, easygoing) way of life down there. Afternoon naps (siesta) and slow pace living were a refreshing experience.

The weeks went by so fast its hard to explain my emotions when it came time to go home. It was great to see everything Anna has been a part for the past nine months but it was sad to leave her. My month spent with Anna in Bolivia opened my eyes to a different part of the world and I can’t wait to head back down to South America.


Chris G.

2 comments:

eileen said...

so nice to hear about the shared experience! anna you are opening eyes little lady. know how proud everyone is of you and keep working hard girl! i love you!

Anna said...

thanks beeeeener