Sunday, June 10, 2007

Mes numero uno!

I have now been in Bolivia for a month and feel that I have learned a lot and am getting more used to being here. I am enjoying living with my Bolivian family. My Bolivian sister Nayra is a wonderful support outlet here. She has helped me learn how to wash my clothes, has taught me traditional Bolivian dances and helps me with Spanish. She is a really good friend, and sister. Spanish is coming along well. I continue to have class at one of 3 houses every morning. Technical training is also going well. In our community we are working on building a “bano ecologico” (sounds better than a dry latrine, but is the same thing). The family that we are building the bano for have 5 children, all under the age of 13. They have never had a bathroom of any sort. We have built the foundation, and are working on the chambers for the tanks. There will be two tanks, which you switch from every 6 months. After 6 months the waste will be dry and can be used as fertilizer. It will have a toilet seat, which is a large improvement over a pit latrine. The family is responsible for getting some of the materials for the project, as well as finishing the surrounding walls. They have been very enthusiastic about the project.

This weekend we had a trash pick up day in another community in coordination with JICA (Japanese Peace Corps), and returned Bolivian Volunteers from 40 years ago. It was a very interesting experience working with both groups. It was pretty amazing to be speaking Spanish to girls from Japan in Bolivia. The enthusiasm of the returned volunteers was also very inspiring. It seems that no matter what kind of project they were here for, they learned so much from the experience that they were able to take with them in their lives.

It often seems like we have been here a lot longer than a month, maybe because we have so much training. We are definitely getting to know each other better. All of the volunteers are unique individuals and I enjoy everyone in their own ways. This past week we had a day off for Corpus Christi and we had a bbq and pool party. I never imagined that there would be a beautiful pool in the middle of our farming community… You never quite know what to expect in Bolivia. It was a great break from our normal busy, busy days.

I’m thinking of and missing everyone in the states. This week has been especially hard with the tragic death of a very influential person in my life, my high school cross country coach, Richard Chenault. My thoughts are with him, his family and all of the people who are mourning the great loss of his life. He will live on through us in our memories, friendships and good works. Richard’s life will continue to be an example of inspiration for me, and everyone who was touched by his passionate spirit.



Things I am still surprised by:
1. Pink toilet paper, and not being able to throw it in the toilet
2. The amount of rice, potatoes and pasta that is eaten within a single meal
3. Having to yell “vendame” (“sell to me”) when I go to a store/tienda to get service
4. People actually talk to eachother in the street
5. The horrible smell of chicken and turkey feathers for fertilizer
6. Having to hold bread or rocks for protection from the dogs (along with the amount of dogs)
7. The mistreatment of animals
8. Domestic violence on the streets
9. Raw meat left in the open air until it is sold or cooked
10. How much stuff Chollitas can fit in their blankets and carry on their backs.
11. The number of times Nayra makes me rinse my clothes after I wash them, and how long it takes.

Things I have pretty much gotten used to:
1. A luke warm electric shower above our toilet
2. Sleeping in a bed tent
3. The freezing mornings and nights, the hot days
4. Going to bed eaaaarly and getting up eaaaaarly
5. Getting shots every week
6. My Bolivian family and their worries about me.
7. The long days of classes
8. Crowded trufi rides
9. Running on the worst kind of cobblestone streets imaginable

13 comments:

eileen said...

I love you. Check your airmail in about T-minus ten buisness days. Hugs and kisses girlfriend.

bev said...

I love your blog it is so fun to read and see your pics. Keep up the good work you are doing such a great thing . Love you PEACE

Unknown said...

Anna...its so good to see you!! ;) Keep the pictures coming. Love you.

Lisabeth said...

Hi Anna....
It is so great to hear from you.... I feel like we are all going to learn so much from YOU! Terribly sad about Richard... we have all been praying for his family.
miss you!
Love you bunches! Lis

MG said...

pinching myself! can hardly believe your there. thrilled for you and for us to have a window into that world. love the lists and the photo of you and the baby chic. pink toilet paper! Vendame! i learned to wash my clothes in morroco....there i thought i'd put holes in the clothes for all the scubbing that was insisted upon!!
toilet customs of the world...maybe rather disgusting...but quite fascinating!
xoxoxoxox more soon!

niko said...

Twin! so good to see your smiling face! Does seem like you've been gone longer than a month. I love you so much. Keep up the good work and pictures. mwwah

Vic said...

I didn't know I could make comments how cool!! This is the cutest blog! i love the pic on the steps! It looks much more relaxing and peaceful than nyc... sirad and I were just in a 2 hour traffic jam- shoot me!!!! anyways, I love you can't wait to see more pics soon.
XOXOXO

Mama said...

Hi Anna....I'm so happy to see the pictures of your family and friends. I think that the mountains look beautiful. We are learning so much from you. Much love!

Laney said...

I finally got to spend some time with the new blog since we were away when it went up. It's really fantastic! The images and narration give such a strong impression of your life there. Your Bolivian family, your PC friends and your work. I'm so happy to have such an immediate and fun way to keep up with you! xoxoxoxo

aunt maura said...

Hola, chiquitita!
Que tal?! Soy buenissimo por que soy con su mama, ahora! Verdad!!
Estamos en una cafe de San Francisco! Te amo!!! Hey Anna, it's Mama and Aunt Maura comin' atcha bilingual from the States! Had breakfast w/ Connor, Papa and Aunt Madge. Miss you and love you like crazy!

Anna said...

Thanks for all the fun messages! Please keep them up! I MISS YOU ALL SOOOOOO MUCH!

Anna said...

PS. don´t be alarmed at the picture of me with the chick, I haven tlost any teeth... yet! that is just a shadow!

Unknown said...

I'd like to invite you to share your Most Touching Volunteer Moment at http://www.boliviabella.com/volunteer.html